Sunday 29 May 2011

Depression

I am depressed.  I have depression.  What does this mean?  What should you say/do/think?
  • Don't think you have to treat me differently.
  • Talk to me
  • Ask me questions
  • Show that you care-a note, a text, anything will do
  • Be there for me
  • If you are serious about wanting to help be prepared for the long haul-its unlikely to get better overnight.
  • Don't make promises you can't keep (especially promises of time)
  • Just because I smile or laugh doesn't mean I'm "better"
  • Don't assume that because I'm depressed I can't smile or laugh.  I do still have a sense of humour!
  • Don't make it all about me.  Let me be a friend to you too.
  • Be prepared for silences when we're together

I'll come back to this.  I thought of some when I was at the rugby this afternoon.

2 comments:

  1. I thought this was taken from a magazine or something. I really like it, very honest and open

    Lainy x

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an honest and thoughtful post. x

    ReplyDelete